Welcome to Xuan Gao’s Group Website
Welcome to the homepage of Professor Xuan Gao’s research group at the Physics Department of Case Western Reserve University. We are a group of experimental physicists studying a wide range of interesting subjects in the fast-growing field of nanoscale physics which bridges condensed matter physics and nanotechnology. Our research is centered on nanostructures or materials (quantum wells, nanoplates, nanowires etc) in which the quantum nature of particles (electrons, phonons etc) plays a fundamental role in their electrical, thermal, optical and magnetic properties. We seek to understand and exploit the quantum physics in these nanostructures for novel device applications.
Our current research projects include:
- Electron transport and phase transitions in semiconductor quantum wells and oxide hetero-interfaces.
- Quantum confinement, spin-orbit coupling, topology/symmetry protection effects in topological states of matter (topological insulators, Dirac semi-metals etc).
- Understanding the energy conversion processes in emerging materials relevant to renewable energy.
- Nanowires or graphene-like atomically thin semiconductors for next generation nanoelectronics, optoelectronics, or biosensors.
Please visit our research projects webpage for more details.
Sukrit receiving Ph.D. at the commencement
Dr. Sucharitakul posing with labmates
- 5/2017 Xuan Gao attended the annual AFOSR project review at the Kirtland Airforce Base in Albuquerque.
- 4/2017 Undergraduate Physics major Mingyuan Wang receives a SOURCE/SURES research scholarship to do summer research in our lab. Congratulations!
- 4/2017 An article about our scanning photocurrent mapping of carrier diffusion in organo-metal halide perovskite solar cell material is published in the ‘TECH BEAT’ column of Tribology & Lubrication Technology magazine (page 12-13 in the April 2017 issue).
- 4/2017 X-mol.com and weixin.qq.com release a news article about our perovskite paper (in Chinese).
- 3/2017 Our paper, “Anisotropic electrical resistance in mesoscopic LaAlO3/SrTiO3devices with individual domain walls” is published in Scientific Reports of Nature Publishing Group. This work is a collaboration with Prof. Sehirlioglu’s group at CWRU’s Materials Science and Engineering and Prof. Marie-Hélène Berger at MINES Paris Tech, France.
- 3/2017 Sukrit, Shuhao and Prof. Gao attended the annual March meeting of the American Physical Society in New Orleans. Both Sukrit and Shuhao gave an oral presentation.
- 2/2017 Sukrit successfully defended his PhD thesis. Congratulations!
- 1/2017 Group lunch celebrating the Chinese New Year.
- 1/2017 Our work on scanning photocurrent imaging microscopy of halide perovskite films made news at Case Daily, Phys.org, Sciencedaily and other media outlets!
- 11/2016 Shuhao’s paper, “Imaging the Long Transport Lengths of Photo-generated Carriers in Oriented Perovskite Films”, has been accepted by Nano Letters, a leading journal in Nanoscience and technology. This work directly shows a surprisingly long diffusion length of carriers in halide perovskite, shedding light on the material’s remarkable performance in solar cell devices. Congratulations.! The just accepted paper can be downloaded here
- 10/2016 Sukrit’s paper, “Screening limited switching performance of multilayer 2D semiconductor FETs: the case for SnS”, has been accepted for publication in Nanoscale. In this paper, we use SnS as an example to address the issue of limited switching performance of 2D semiconductor FET (and thin film FET) in general. Congratulations.! The just accepted paper can be downloaded here.
- 10/2016 Xuan Gao was a plenary speaker at the Ohio-region section of the American Physical Society meeting. He presented the recent work by Shuhao Liu (in collaboration with Prof. Clemens Burda’s group) on scanning photocurrent microscopy imaging of photo-generated carrier diffusion in organo-metal halide perovskite films, a rising star photovoltaic material.
- 9/2016 Xuan Gao visited the Department of Physics of Georgetown University as a colloquium speaker.
- 8/2016 Ph.D. students Kasun Premasiri and Kyle Crowley joined the group. Grad student Chris Reed also joined the lab to do research for his master’s work. Welcome!
- 6/2016 We welcome Amelia Seger from Hathaway Brown School and Chris Tung from Hawken School as high school summer interns. We also have a number of undergraduates doing research with us this summer: Nic Vogel, Shichen Wang, Axel Gross, Ryuji Fujita (undergrad from UIUC). Welcome and good luck with research!
- 6/2016 A collaborative paper “Atomic-resolved depth profile of strain and cation intermixing around LaAlO3/SrTiO3 interfaces” was published in Scientific Reports.
- 4/19/2016 Sukrit Sucharitakul passed oral qualification/topical exam. Congratulations.
- 4/16/2016 Prof. Gao attends a symposium at Wayne State University (WSU) to commemorate late Prof. Gavin Lawes. Thank you, WSU and the organizing committee for this wonderful event to honor our great friend and colleague Gavin who will be missed.
Motivated students are encouraged to contact Prof. Gao (xuan.gao @case.edu) if you are interested in working with us.